Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sled Dogs and Frozen Toes!

This morning, I got to see Siberian Husky sled dogs in action!!! It was a beautiful sunny day (for once!), but absolutely freezing! I was bundled up like Randy from A Christmas Story, and I was so cold that I couldn't feel my toes! Here's a visual for you guys:


Maibritt and I later found out that it was -15 degrees C (5 degrees F). Pretty cold! The place that we went to is a training area for sled dogs that race. There are usually a ton of dogs out there, but most of them were at a race today. When we first got there, the dogs were already out on a run, so Maibritt and I climbed up a little hill to see if we could spot them. Here's the beautiful view!





After a bit, we saw the dogs running in! There were 10 Siberian Huskies pulling a "sled." Since the snow doesn't get very deep here, they use something that looks like a 4-wheeler instead because the ground would mess up the runners on the sleds. Following the sled was a man on a bike being pulled by 2 dogs.


The dogs were put on a chain and fed and watered, which they were pretty excited about! All of the dogs were so sweet and friendly! If you started petting one, the dog next to them wanted to be petted, too. And as soon as you would stop petting them, they would jump up on you to be petted more! I got lots of licks, and one even got some slobber on my camera lens! Here are some pictures of them!









After they were fed and watered (and thoroughly petted!), a couple were switched out with other dogs they had for another run. You should have seen how excited they were when they found out they were going out again! One of the lead dogs was going positively crazy with excitement! (Family: picture Olivia's excitement about her leash times 20!). They got all hooked up and were off!



They almost ran over a group of runners on the same trail! After they had left, Maibritt and I made hot chocolate from a thermos we had brought in an attempt to warm up. It tasted delicious, but my toes still hurt like the dickens! We left to go tour a bit of Roskilde, which was gorgeous! It looks like a smaller and quainter version of Copenhagen. Here are some pictures from Roskilde Domkirke (Roskilde Cathedral).









This is the museum attached to the church. It was closed for renovations, so we couldn't go inside.

We went inside Domkirke, but I couldn't take many pictures inside because a baptism had just ended and the family was still taking pictures. Maibritt and I did venture inside the tomb for the Danish kings, so we took a couple of pictures there. I'm actually in a picture this time!





After we toured the church, I got a couple of pictures of the town. I'm not sure what most of the buildings are, but I thought they were beautiful!

This is my favourite house that I've seen so far! 



We started heading home and got a bit lost, but I did manage to take a picture of Roskilde from across the fjord when we were on the wrong street at one point!


After we got home, I took a nice HOT shower to try to get the feelings back in my toes! The sun has been shining all day, so I've been enjoying it while it lasts doing homework in the living room. It's been a lovely, relaxing afternoon! :)

5 comments:

  1. Glad that you got to see the sled dogs in action. I will have to put a picture of Oreo on fb so that Maibritt can see her. Looks like a wonderful cold morning in Denmark! XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those dogs are so cute! Is Maibritt going to get one of them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope she does! They were such sweet dogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pics make me cold just to look at them. Beautiful though. Missed you today at worship as we had a chance to reaffirm our baptism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, my family told me about that!

    ReplyDelete